<p class="first“>Happy birthday, Sheryl Crow! The pop, rock and country singer turns 57 on February 11, 2019. In honor of her birthday, here are 10 of her most powerful quotes on love, music, growing older and being a mom to her young sons, Levi and Wyatt.
1. “One of the things that really works in my favor is getting older and embracing that. There’s quite a bit of liberation I feel over the fact that I’m not trying be competitive at pop radio or trying to reach a certain demographic — none of that stuff really applies to someone my age anymore and that’s been really liberating.”
2. “Pop music is much more geared towards young people and it’s really all about sex — and that’s just not going to be my thing, so I’m basically writing about things I want to write about.”
3. On what makes her happy: “Little things. Definitely my kids and watching them grow and become people — thinking, compassionate little people. They are funny and it’s fun seeing the world for the first time through their eyes.”
5. “We live in a 24-hour news cycle, so you have to unplug sometimes. It’s too easy to get drawn into the negativity. My kids and I spend a lot of time outside in nature, and they have to ‘check out’ their screens like at a library.”
Remember When Sheryl Crow Was a Backup Singer for Michael Jackson?
6. “I’ve always written songs that were very story-oriented and very much about the structure of conventional songwriting: a beginning, middle, and end.”
Sheryl Crow on How Cancer Taught Her to Slow Down and Love Life
9. “Cancer taught me to make myself a priority. I tend to put my family’s ne in front of my own. Part of a healthy life for me now is being mindful of the things that might be causing me stress so I can deal with them and move on.”